KEISER Family Law

Joe Keiser, Attorney At Law

1516 Oak St., Suite 321, Alameda, CA 94501

Divorce    Property Division    Custody  •  Support  •  Domestic Violence  •  Appeals


•  Keiser Family Law

•  Attorney Profile

•  Resources

•  Disclaimer


•  Divorce

•  Custody Disputes

•  Property Division

•  Restraining Orders

•  Child Support

•  Spousal Support

•  Domestic Partnerships

•  Pre-Marital Agreements

•  Appeals



Telephone: (415) 342-5394

Facsimile: (888) 892-6105


"Joe helped me through a very difficult time in my life.  I would recommend Joe to anyone going through a divorce, especially anyone with children."

-A.W., Santa Rosa, CA


•  Yelp

•  LinkedIn

•  Avvo

•  Facebook




California has statutory child support guidelines. The amount of child support that parents must pay is based on a formula established under California's law. This formula takes into account several factors, including the income of each parent, the amount of time each parent has with the child, and the number of children involved. The duty to support children extends to both parents and normally continues until the child reaches the age of 18, but may be extended until age 19 in some cases.

The Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) is the California agency responsible for collecting child support payments, when necessary. Parties need not involve DCSS if they are able to maintain payments according to an agreed upon or court ordered monthly child support payment schedule. In those cases where enforcement or modification of a court order is needed, DCSS may be available to help in cases involving individuals that receive government assistance. For all other cases, the assistance of an experienced family law attorney may be needed.

At the start of any dissolution, prior to final child support orders being put in place, temporary support orders may be available to parties in need of immediate monetary assistance from their spouse. It is often best to ask for these temporary support orders as soon as possible. Often times it is necessary to prepare and file forms requesting such temporary support, along with the initial packet of forms that are served at the start of your divorce. The assistance of an attorney can be useful in making a request for temporary support orders at the start of your divorce.